The 19-bed unit serves patients admitted for complicated medical procedures, such as cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, orthopedics, and serious illnesses. Fellowship-trained physicians and specially trained pediatric nurses provide round-the-clock care for your child. The PICU also has dedicated respiratory therapists, a pharmacist, and a dietitian who specialize in pediatric critical care.
The WVU Medicine Children’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) provides specialized care for critically ill infants and children of all ages. We are dedicated to offering the most advanced care available to every child in West Virginia and surrounding states. Our PICU has level 1 status from the American Academy of Pediatrics – the highest ranking a hospital PICU can receive.
Our PICU providers and staff are sensitive to the emotional needs of children and families in critical situations, and we offer a variety of services to comfort and support, including:
- Visitation for parents and guardians 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- PICU child life specialist who can help comfort your child during any procedures
- PICU sedation program from one of our attending physicians or sedation nurse
- Family Resource Center to help families through any hardships
- Supportive care services for adjustment to a child’s illness and grief support
- Interfaith chaplains and a Prayer and Meditation Room available 24 hours a day, seven days a week